akt's dOrKismS

This is to counter my selective memory....

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Harbourfront is cool

After coming back from Ottawa and having spent some time by the canal just chatting and enjoying the scene, I was inspired to spend some time at Harbourfront. Actually I was waiting for our ultimate game, which started at 10pm downtown. The last time I got to do this was a couple of years ago; but that time got a little creepy cuz I was reading my Cost of Discipleship book and this man came up to me after I walked away from my spot and said - "wow, that must be a good book, you've been reading that for the last 3 hours!" Yikes!!! What the?? Anyway, I think I creeped him out when he asked me what I was reading and I replied "The Cost of Discipleship" and then he must have thought I was this crazy religious fanatic. Hahahahahaha! Sucka! ;)


Got to read part of my Life Together book while sitting on the edge of the docks - it's a lot to digest, so I took my time to read, think, and watch the water. I've only gotten through part of the 1st chapter (1 of 5); but there was a lot that Bonhoeffer wrote that was a good reminder and rebuke to me about forgetting to be thankful for the things that God has given me in fellowship, church and community.

Here's an excerpt..hope this isn't breaking copyright laws...on thankfulness..

In the Christian community thankfulness is just what it is anywhere else in the Christian life. Only he who gives thanks for little things receives the big things. We prevent God from giving us the great spiritual gifts He has in store for us, because we do not give thanks for daily gifts. We think we dare not be satisfied with the small measure of spiritual knowledge, experience and love that has been given to us, and that we must constantly be looking forward eagerly for the highest good. Then we deplore the fact that we lack the deep certainty, the strong faith, and the rich experience that God has given to others, and we consider this lament to be pious. We pray for the big things and forget to give thanks for the ordinary, small (and yet really not small) gifts. How can God entrust great things to one who will not thankfully receive from Him the little things? If we do not give thanks daily for the Christian fellowship in which we have been placed, even where there is no great experience, no discoverable riches, but much weakness, small faith and difficulty; if on the contrary, we only keep complaining to God that everything is so paltry and petty, so far from what we expected, then we hinder God from letting our fellowship grow according to the measure and riches which are there for us all in Jesus Christ."

Anyway, just thinking of my views on my church, I know I had a lot of growing to do coming out of UW. Had to battle that 'Waterloo pride' where we always thought - ahh, we grew so much more in UW, we had such close fellowship, it's not the same here. No, it's not the same, but I've learned that God can work anywhere in anyone; who was I to scoff and think otherwise. Though I forget that at times; there's always a comparison in my mind - because I defer to a lot of things I learned while in UW - the Sunday School was awesome and I really miss the people, the fellowship lunches, PT's casual dinners and bbqs, which doubled as the baptism interview, the sharing, the openness...So anyway, reading this part of the chapter really hit me again. There's still growing to do. But I am thankful for TCCC - like I said below, God is moving in this place!

bedtime i'm rambling again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home