akt's dOrKismS

This is to counter my selective memory....

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Ni ge pi gu zhang ni ge tao zhe

Today I met the Mandarin teacher for the first time to talk about learning goals and to learn about her background. It was really cool! She's super nice and approachable; loves to talk; and definitely sounds like a good teacher. She's a Catholic; goes to church every morning! Taught 10 years with the Catholic School Board. She asked us why we wanted to learn Mandarin. She talked a lot, so we didn't really get to explain. I thought about it - if I really wanted to go back to China, I've got to learn the language. How can I tell them why I went there? How can I listen to their lives, hurts, dreams and the cries of their souls? Who Jesus is and what New Life is, and what resurrection is? Hmm, if I get lazy with studying, maybe I should pray harder for the gift of tongues.

And, I'm there with my friend whom I've been talking and praying for since university. I'm hoping I can ask the Mandarin teacher to teach me how to read my Chinese Bible - and maybe I can learn it in Cantonese too. And, the MSI theme song in Mandarin, which is the 1 Cor 13 verse is something I want to learn to read and sing properly too. Hope that there will be a chance to do it; there seems to be a lot of elements here for opportune times for the Gospel to be shared and heard - and it just prayer to have it all come together - in His perfect will!

For those who know me, my prayer request is for me to try to be a better witness at home - my family is upset that I've again joined something that will take me away from 'being at home'...I wonder if this time I've stepped off the fine line of between honouring my parents, and following God...and sometimes I wonder if I've already veered way off and have been walking on the wrong side - please pray for patience, for which I am lacking...thanks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home