akt's dOrKismS

This is to counter my selective memory....

Friday, June 25, 2004

Messed Up

Got home at 1:15am today; took a $46 cab ride from King & John St tonight..boy, I bet you my mom must be really really angry..and I guess I deserve it..went out with co-workers to celebrate a going away; (and I was supposed to make it to another one for a friend moving to Melbourne..but didn't make it there). Anyway, we had a good time but I had never called home to tell them that I wasn't going to be home until later. I'm really bad at that..I guess I'm still not used to doing it; or dislike doing it because I was so used to roaming wherever and whenever when I lived on my own in Waterloo; and secondly, I was avoiding the 20 scathing questions and snide remarks from every family member. I think I really find it hard to withstand. So anyway, I was irresponsible - I'm sure they were worried, especially since I didn't drive. Well, this must add to the growing list of being a black sheep. The bad thing is, this is a really bad witness; and was totally avoidable.

I know I'm totally wrong, but I just struggle with being 27 and having to report and call home everytime I stay out past 8pm...it drives me nuts. And it's worse because I get the guilt trip and constant remarks from everyone, which makes me want to be at home even less. It's hard because I was always brought up to be independent; so I like to do my own thing; don't worry about me; I'll take care of myself; these are the values they taught me. Yet now, it seems like their worry for the details in my life are opposing every independent inkling they've ever taught me.

I don't even know what I can do to do 'right' in their eyes. I try, but it just doesn't feel like it's valued as much as being at home...

3 Comments:

At June 25, 2004 at 11:00 AM, Blogger b.p. said...

i may not be your age yet, but i feel exactly the same way, and it's sooo hard to get used to especially since i would stay out late and up reallly late in 'loo (yam tho would seem to be me at that quite often tho :P)! sometimes, i deliberately turn off my cell so they cant reach me (i know, that's bad).

 
At June 27, 2004 at 11:56 PM, Blogger akt said...

yeah, the hardest thing to transition home is to live under someone elses' rules again; it was and still is soo humbling!

 
At July 2, 2004 at 4:59 AM, Blogger Matt said...

hehe, you're going through what i went through years ago.. but i agree with alan.. if it comes down to what can "better" your relationship, moving out might be the answer. then calling when you're out past 8 isn't as bad of a habit to adopt :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home