"It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace." Hebrews 6:4-6
I saw some old friends I knew who were once Christians and have not been to church in years. I don't know where they are now spiritually; but I did notice that during a time of worship, my friend was conscious to choose not to sing, nor pray..or at least to sing out loud, or to pray with a bowed head. I was saddened and troubled. How many friends do I know had once walked closely with Christ, now perhaps reject Him, or at least appear not to be in worship of Him now. Hebrews 6:4; spent so much time troubling and praying over this; what of those whom I love as brothers and sisters who no longer follow Christ? Can they come back? I know there are the different 'camps'. I had subscribed to the camp that a true rejection of Christ was actually hypothetical; no one who truly knew and tasted how ultimately Good it is to be in intimacy with God and to share in the Holy Spirit could ever walk away because it was soooo good. So those who seemingly walk away really did so because they never really knew Him; they never were truly Christians to begin with. I think I chose this because I needed to believe that there is a way back to Christ, for those dear friends who chose to walk away; I don't really know if it's a good thing that I my hope for them is for them to have never truly known Christ in the first place, so then at least there's a fighting chance that they can come to know Him truly.
2 Comments:
I have great respect for your friend who chose not to sing the songs. It would have been so easy for him to just sing along, and blend in with the crowd. Instead, he chose to stand his ground that he does not believe, therefore he will not pretend to worship.
In reflection of your friend's character drawn from his current behaviour, I think that on the day he finally overcomes whatever obstacle is between him and God, he will become a fervent and consecrated follower of Christ. His ability to stand his ground on what he believes, and doesn't believe, will be an enormous strength when he finally sees past the people (as is often the cause of Christians "falling away") and sees God.
In the same way, how heavy-hearted God must feel when we, who profess ourselves as Christ followers, sing the songs at church or fellowship, bow our heads to pray, yet don't take the time to comprehend the words that come from our mouths. We like the catchy melody, and can even make up a pretty snazzy harmony part, but how often do we take the time to understand the implications of the lyrics we repeat?
Jesus, all for Jesus
All I am and have and ever hope to be
All of my ambitions, hopes, and plans
I *surrender* these into your hands
Hear I am *wholly* available
As for me I will *serve* the Lord
Lord you are more precious than silver
Lord you are more costly than gold
Lord you are more beautiful than diamonds
And *nothing* I desire compares with You
"Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are--yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." Hebrews 4:14-16
It's good to know that our God is a loving and forgiving God. He loves us inspite of our wrong decisions. And so we continue to pray that He speaks to each of us, even when we sometimes don't really feel like listening to what He has to say.
agreed....i always feel guilty that i have to stop when I sing "I Surrender All"....bc I haven't yet...
Post a Comment
<< Home